It was during the early months of 1921 that a group of Point Lonsdale residents, along with some holiday home owners, decided they should establish a golf links in the area. Under the leadership of A.M. Nicholas of Aspro fame, the group of enthusiasts began the search for suitable land to establish their links. Forty three acres of land “in the nearby country” was purchased from Mr. R. Thomson for ₤l, 000.
A nine hole course was marked out; the greens areas were cleared, prepared and sown with the opening planned for the spring of 1922. Practically all of the work was done by voluntary labour and the group worked assiduously throughout the rest of 1921 and into 1922.
The opening was thus planned and on Saturday, November 23rd, 1922, Mr. A.M. Nicholas, who had been elected the inaugural President, drove the first ball from the first tee of the “Point Lonsdale Golf Links” and declared them officially open.